2 - 0
(1 - 0)
Bidvest Stadium
21/12/2018 20:00
Referee: Thokozani Mkhize

Related News

Related Club News

Absa Premiership match report Bidvest Wits v Chippa United 21 December 2018

Posted: 21 December 2018 Time: 18:35

Bidvest Wits will end the year on top of the Absa Premiership table after a 2-0 victory over Chippa United on Friday evening.

Wits were out to consolidate top spot to end the year on a high, even without skipper Thulani Hlatshwayo who missed the clash through injury.

Chippa, still gunning for their first win since October, started with an all-out attack in Mark Mayambela, Thabo Rakhale and Rhulani Manzini.

After just four minutes, an important deflection from Zitha Macheke interrupted Lehlohonolo Majoro's goal-bound effort from finding the net, allowing Daniel Akpeyi to gather easily from a throw-in.

Macheke was to be the guilty party for an apparent foul on Terrence Dzvukamanja which led to a penalty, which was converted by Majoro at the second attempt after a save from Akpeyi on 29 minutes.

The Chilli Boys were rattled by the set-back, but posed a few threatening moments on the break with Manzini and Rakhale.

Wits were almost two ahead in the 35th minute, but Majoro's shot from inside the box deflected safely into the arms of Akpeyi.

Chippa had to wait a minute to halftime for their first sight on goal through a long-range drive from Rakhale, but it flashed into the side-netting of Darren Keet's goal.

Chippa started the second half strongly after creating free-kicks around the danger area, but Manzini, amongst others, were unable to make them count.

Wits missed a golden chance to go further in front after Dzvukamanja was sent clear on goal, but his final delivery went high over the top on 50 minutes.

There eventually was to be another goal and it came to Wits through a stunning free-kick which crept in off the underside of the crossbar from Thabang Monare in the 62nd minute.

Manzini missed another chance as his free-kick from the centre of the box went straight to Keet on 70 minutes.

Hotto was still pressing for his goal but after bringing down a long ball from the left-hand side of the penalty area, he shot into the side-netting three minutes later.

Chippa were close to pulling a goal back after a half-volley from substitute Daine Klate sailed narrowly wide on 86 minutes.

Three minutes later, Keet then made a one-handed save to stop Manzini's close range effort following a cross from the right side.

Dzvukamanja attempted to kill it off in added time, but he was toppled by stern defending as Wits end the year on top of the table.

Article by: Staff Reporter
Terms of use:

The comments posted do not reflect the views of KickOff.com. Users are reminded that no misuse of this comment facility will be tolerated. Any abusive, racist, inflammatory, defamatory, discriminatory comments or hate speech will be deleted and the user banned.

If legally obliged we will hand over your information under the Protection of Information Act.

Please report abusive posts to editor@kickoff.com.