1 - 1
(0 - 1)
Makhulong Stadium
23/12/2018 15:30
Referee: Daniel Bennett

Related News

Related Club News

Absa Premiership match report Highlands Park v SuperSport United 23 December 2018

Posted: 23 December 2018 Time: 12:53

SuperSport United moved up to third spot on a superior goal-difference ahead of Polokwane City despite playing to a 1-1 draw with Highlands Park in Tembisa.

Hoping to end the year on a joyous not, SuperSport were also hoping to go three points behind league leaders Bidvest Wits by claiming third spot.

Highlands saw Peter Shalulile in a with a chance on goal early on, but he shot too high from inside the box on five minutes.

From a good offensive position, Aubrey Modiba delayed his shot at goal after forcing a misplaced pass off a defender.

The Bafana Bafana international's dilly-dallying on the ball allowed the defence to scurry back to take the shot off Modiba's foot inside 14 minutes.

Following a dry spell in chances towards the interval, Highlands appeared more promising with every touch on the ball.

A minute to halftime, Shalulile looked to have handed the hosts the lead after getting to the ball ahead of Ronwen Williams but just as he was about to tap-in, the whistle went for a foul.

The stroke of fortune played in United's favour, as Modiba slotted a reverse pass from Onismor Bhasera underneath the arms of Tapuwa Kapini a minute into added time in the first period.

The second half of the game was met with a lengthy delay due to ominous weather conditions, leading match officials to temporarily suspend the match for a few minutes.

Once resumed, the Lions of the North came with more energy to instantly claw their way back through the head of Mothobi Mvala following a cross from Luckyboy Mokoena.

That header from the once upon a time target of Kaizer Chiefs stretched his tally on the goal-scoring charts to seven.

From close range, Mvala missed the chance to get a second following a corner kick, as he was unable to get his header on target following a low cross on 59 minutes.

There was a response from United after surrendering the lead, as Clayton Daniels rose ahead of the defence to get on the end of a corner, but it rattled the top of the net on 62 minutes.

Approaching conclusion, Matsatsantsa pushed numbers forward following the introduction of Reneilwe Letsholonyane from the bench.

The best opportunity opened up for Keene following a high-corner, but the Englishman could not keep his shot down with 12 minutes to the final whistle.

Then, Khumalo produced a timeous intervention to take a potentially goal-bound strike off the feet of substitute Mokete Mogaila moments later, as the spoils were shared.

Article by: Staff Reporter
Terms of use:

The comments posted do not reflect the views of KickOff.com. Users are reminded that no misuse of this comment facility will be tolerated. Any abusive, racist, inflammatory, defamatory, discriminatory comments or hate speech will be deleted and the user banned.

If legally obliged we will hand over your information under the Protection of Information Act.

Please report abusive posts to editor@kickoff.com.