1 - 0
(1 - 0)
Moses Mabhida Stadium
04/11/2018 15:00
Referee: Daniel Bennett

Related News

Related Club News

Telkom Knockout match report Kaizer Chiefs v SuperSport United 04 November 2018

Posted: 4 November 2018 Time: 13:10

Kaizer Chiefs edged SuperSport United 1-0 for a place in the Telkom Knockout semi-final through a first-half strike from Ramahlwe Mphahlele.

It started with changes on either end, as Chiefs rested Siphelele Ntshangase for George Maluleka while SuperSport introduced Richard Boateng at left back for Onismor Bhasera.

An early opportunity found Bernard Parker goal-side, and instead of taking a first time shot delayed and allowed Ronwen Williams to close down the angle with three minutes played.

SuperSport received a free-kick on the edge of the box and the resultant place-kick went straight to the arms of Itumeleng Khune after Aubrey Modiba’s conversion.

Chiefs cracked the upright just after 15 minutes through Willard Katsande’s shot from inside the box after a loose ball inside the box following a corner kick.

SuperSport nearly caught out the defence when Ghampa Lungu’s flick on put Modiba through and after shrugging of Siyabonga Ngezana’s challenge, shot over from close range on 23 minutes.

The Amakhosi nearly squeezed into the near post after a corner from Khama Billiat rattled Ronwen Williams on the half and hour mark.

Inside 37 minutes, Boateng conceded a penalty after fouling Ramahlwe Mphahlele. Katsande though failed to take advantage hitting the underside of the crossbar.

That did little to hit their confidence as Mphahlele drilled Williams off guard with a swinging first-time drive within minutes.

In the second half, SuperSport searched for an early response and James Keene’s low shot nearly handed them but it failed to test Khune who saved easily.

After making a change at the break in the form of Thuso Phala for Evans Rusike, their resolve took on a complete different meaning in both defence and attack.

Following a lull in offensive movements, Matsatsantsa created a half-opening and Modiba found space on the far side to have a crack at goal but in the end dragged the effort wide.

The Glamour Boys late on pressured the visitors on the counterattack and through Billiat missed the chance to go two up after the latter missed from close proximity.

It proved little to see them book a sit in the semi-finals of the Telkom Knockout for the second year running, gaining their revenge on SuperSport for the defeats in the MTN8.


Chiefs: Khune, Mphahlele, Ngezana, Booysen, Walusumbi, Katsande, Maluleke, Zuma, Billiat, Parker, Castro.

Subs: Bvuma, Cardoso, Moon, Ntshangase, Andrianamanana, Zulu, Ntiya-Ntiya.

SuperSport: Williams, Daniels, Khumalo, Kekana, Boateng, Ntshangase, Letsholonyane, Mokoena, Modiba, Lungu, Keene.

Subs: Rusike, Mahlatse, Nhlapo, Phala, Mbule, Gould.

Article by: Staff Reporter
Terms of use:

The comments posted do not reflect the views of KickOff.com. Users are reminded that no misuse of this comment facility will be tolerated. Any abusive, racist, inflammatory, defamatory, discriminatory comments or hate speech will be deleted and the user banned.

If legally obliged we will hand over your information under the Protection of Information Act.

Please report abusive posts to editor@kickoff.com.